Active Ingredient: Metoprolol
Toprol XL is used for treating high blood pressure, angina, and heart failure.
Toprol XL, a type of medication known as a beta blocker, is used in the treatment of high blood pressure, angina pectoris (chest pain, usually caused by lack of oxygen to the heart due to clogged arteries), and heart attack. When prescribed for high blood pressure, it is effective when used alone or in combination with other high blood pressure medications. Beta blockers decrease the force and rate of heart contractions, thereby reducing the demand for oxygen and lowering blood pressure.
Take Toprol XL exactly as prescribed by your doctor.
- Do not take in larger or smaller amounts or for longer than recommended. Follow the directions on your prescription label.
- Take Toprol XL at the same time every day.
- Toprol XL should be taken with food or just after a meal. A Toprol XL tablet can be divided in half if your doctor has told you to do so. The half tablet should be swallowed whole, without chewing or crushing. Chewing or crushing the pill could cause too much of the drug to be released at one time.
- Do not skip doses or stop taking Toprol XL without first talking to your doctor. Stopping suddenly may make your condition worse.
- Your blood pressure will need to be checked often. Visit your doctor regularly.
- If you need surgery, tell the surgeon ahead of time that you are using Toprol XL.
- Toprol XL is only part of a complete program of treatment for hypertension that may also include diet, exercise, and weight control. Follow your diet, medication, and exercise routines very closely if you are being treated for hypertension.
- If you are being treated for high blood pressure, keep using this medication even if you feel well. High blood pressure often has no symptoms. You may need to use blood pressure medication for the rest of your life.
- Take the missed dose as soon as you remember. Skip the missed dose if it is almost time for your next scheduled dose. Do not take extra medicine to make up the missed dose.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Toprol XL.
Store Toprol XL at room temperature, between 68 and 77 degrees F (20 and 25 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Toprol XL out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Metoprolol succinate.